Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
POSITION: Offshore Inspection Engineer
Duties & Responsibilities
To act as the main focal point offshore and responsible for the co-ordination of all inspection activities. To ensure that plant and equipment is certified in accordance with Oceaneering and Client codes of practice, strategies and legislation with feedback of results to the client.
- Support the Line Manager (LM) and / or Senior Inspection Engineer (SIE) in delivery of Oceaneering workscope as defined in the contract with the client.
- Functionally report to the Offshore Installation Manager for the provision and co-ordination of all Inspection Services. Maintain close liaison with the platform personnel to ensure activities such as equipment scheduling, planning, availability etc. are implemented.
- Assist in all strategy reviews and in the development of inspection programmes. Where necessary input to detailed plans, programmes, workscopes and carry out pre-surveys of equipment.
- Undertake all agreed offshore inspections within the limitations of the Oceaneering issued Letter of Authority (LoA), ensuring they are implemented and completed as scheduled.
- Supervise Oceaneering personnel and third parties. Ensure the contractor understands the workscope, associated risks and the work is completed and reported as specified in the workscope. Carry out briefings/Tool Box Talks to all Inspection/ NDT Personnel
- Issue inspection reports (include interim ones as required) within the time period as stated in the procedure. Use approved forms/ templates for items inspected ensuring condition, suitability for further service and observations are included plus supporting information such as NDT reports
- Review and where applicable sign acceptance of inspection reports completed by NDT technicians or Third parties
- Assess defects or anomalies found, ensuring use of the Oceaneering or client anomaly process e.g. IQRO procedure
- Provide remedial recommendations as required and inspect the subsequent repair work for acceptance
- Update or provide information for updating the inspection database (e.g. ACET) and maintenance management systems (e.g. Maximo, SAP) with inspection activities as required
- Attend meetings and reviews as appropriate e.g. Shutdown, IQRO, planning, safety and hazard risk assessment etc.
- Maintain assigned Logs or Registers up-to-date and in accordance with Oceaneering/client procedures
- Issue status reports as required e.g. daily/ weekly/ handover, etc.
- The list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake tasks that may reasonably be expected within the scope of the post
- Assist with any other duties as and when required
- Undertake specific projects as instructed by management
Ensure that the Safety policies and procedures are understood and adhered to so far as is reasonably practicable in order to ensure a safe working environment.
Carry out work in accordance with the Company Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality Systems.
Perform the assigned tasks with due diligence regarding the Integrated Management Systems on the Company.
Eliminate waste of whatever form, to suggest the use of more environmentally friendly substances and practices and contribute to the continuous improvement of the environment.
- Minimum UKAS RG2 Category 3 compatible (E)
- ONC in Mechanical Eng or NVQ Level 3 (such as in City & Guilds) in a suitable engineering subject (E)
(Mechanical Engineering (P))
Note: ONC in Fabrication & welding or other similar subject could be considered provided the individual has other qualification e.g. ASME or API certification.
Alternatively, EngTech as defined by the Eng Council (or equivalent), through a suitable Engineering Institute (refer to RG2/ RG0 Category 3 decision criteria workflow)
- HNC or greater in an Engineering related discipline (P)
- Incorporated Engineer as defined by the Engineering Council or working towards award (P)
- API 510 Pressure Vessel Inspector and API 570 Piping Inspection certification (P)
- API 653 Tank Inspection certification (P) (Note: (E) essential for some roles/clients where the Inspection Engineer is required to inspect large storage tanks)
- NDT certification for core techniques (P), if it is a specific client requirement Offshore medical, annual eye test, BOSIET
& MIST certification (E) Confined Space Entry training (P)
Knowledge, Experience, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Minimum 5 years of specific experience related to the job description (E).
- Must be able to demonstrate working knowledge of design, manufacture, metallurgy, welding, codes, standards, risk assessments and legislation associated with the in-service inspection of plant and equipment (E)
- Must be familiar with QA/QC systems/procedures and NDE techniques (E)
- Microsoft Office (E)
- ACET or equivalent (P)
- Ability to generate a team approach to problem solving (E)
- Good client or support contractor relationship skills at various levels of seniority or diverse cultures (E)
- Good communicator both written and verbal (E)
- Requires working outdoors, exposed to all weather conditions
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable
- Includes exposure to contaminants
- Requires working in cramped work spaces and getting into awkward positions
- Requires working in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Plsnote that candidates are requested to send their CVs to email@example.com